How to migrated from SBS 2003 to 2012 Essentials and Office 365 hosted Exchange.
1st make sure you have good quality hardware for Server. This is the heart and brain of your office so don’t skimp, downtime from a failed cheap SATA drive or shotty motherboard will cost much more money than just putting in good equipment to start.
Here is a basic list from Microsoft, I will go into each of these with detail.
- Back up your Source Server
- Install the most recent service packs
- Verify the network configuration
- Use Windows SBS 2003 Best Practice Analyzer to evaluate the health of the Source Server
- Synchronize the Source Server time with an external time source
- Run the Migration Preparation Tool on the Source Server
- Create a plan to migrate line-of-business applications
- Create a plan to migrate email that is hosted on Windows Small Business Server 2003
1. Backup Source Server
use your standard backup method, test the backup before you start.
2. Install the most recent service packs
Some of this info is old so I will update;
Download and save the following updates into the SP1 folder:
You actually want windows 2003 Service Pack 2
2. Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 Service Pack 1
Your actually want Sharepoint Services 2.0 Service Pack 3
You actually want Exchange 2003 Service Pack 2
If all your PCs are already updated to service pack 2 or later you can skip this step by following the instructions in the following links
Click Here for Part 2